The history of Christian Radich goes back to 1937, when she was built at Framnæs Mech. Yard in Norway. She was built as a sail training ship: the orlops (dormitories) had capacity for berthing 80-90 students (maximum 80 today after renovation), a large galley for learning to cook, carpentry training, and earlier there was also a machine shop on board (where the galley is now) for training engineers. The purpose of the training ship was to train sailors. Sailing-ships were the usual vessels around the turn of the century and that is why the sailing ships continued as a school ship later on.